Sunday, August 14, 2011

Gluten in Ice Cream???

Summer and ice cream just go together.  This summer I've been addicted to indulging in ice cream almost every night.  Being celiac and gluten free I always stay away from those flavors that obviously have gluten, i.e. cookie dough, brownie sundae, cake batter and such.  Recently I have learned that many chocolate flavors as well as those with chocolate chips, contain gluten.  As a matter of fact, my local ice cream parlor cannot guarantee there is no gluten in all but 5 flavors.  BIG BUMMER!!  So here is a heads up to all gluten sensitive and celiac's . . . ask if the ice cream is gluten free and if they don't know, the safest bet would be to order vanilla.  I have found that adding nuts or coconut or m & m's will help satisfy that chocolate craving.  Goldbaum's also makes the best gluten free ice cream cones, they have a cocoa cone that just has a hint of chocolate that is great.  You can bring your own cone for your favorite ice cream parlor to fill.  Hopefully this addiction will end before my scale reflects the indulgences.

No comments:

Post a Comment