Friday, February 11, 2011

Gluten Free Gourmet

Welcome to my Gluten Free Gourmet blog.

I've been living gluten free for 3 1/2 years now and although it's been painful at times, I'm getting used to cooking and baking with gluten free products. Of course, the fact that there are more products availble on the market is a huge help. I'd like to make this as interactive as possible with recipe exchanging, product recommendations, restaurant suggestions and an overall place to share valuable information for both celiac and gluten sensitive people. I'd like to start by sharing a recipe I recently heard about while watching a morning tv show (I made a couple of minor changes). The recipe is for a cinnamon coffee cake and is one of the best gluten free baked items I've tried so far. Here goes:

Coffee Cake

1 box gluten free vanilla or yellow cake mix (I used Betty Crocker GF)
1/2 pkg vanilla instant pudding (I used sugar free)
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup oil
3 eggs
2 Tabls. milk
1 Tabls. vanilla

Mix all together put 1/2 the batter into greased 13x9 pan.
Mix 1/3 cup brown sugar, 2 teas. cinnamon and 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts.
Sprinkle 1/2 of the nut mixture on top of the mix in pan; spread remaining cake mix and top with remaining nut mixture.

Bake in 350 over for 35 - 40 minutes.

OK - now my comments: I love nuts so I used closer to 1 cup. First time I made it as above and it was great. Found it didn't quite make it in the 13 x 9 pan. Was going to use a smaller pan the next time but instead decided to double the recipe and go with the 13 x 9. It came out HUGE, definately need more of the nut mixture than the double as it gets lost between the layers. The next time, I will make it single and put in a 9" spring form pan. Any way that you make it though, it is delicious.



Enjoy and let me know your thoughts.

Cathy

1 comment:

  1. I welcome the recipes. I'm sure many people have friends and relatives that suffer from this. Our culture seems to revolve around food in social situations and this will be an asset. Keep it coming-Thanks Diane S.

    ReplyDelete