Sunday, February 13, 2011

What a find!

For the past 3 1/2 years I've been trying to find a gluten free condensed cream of mushroom or chicken soup but could not find anything.  I even searched the web for a recipe to make my own.  The other day while in Whole Foods, I found one.  Pacific Natural Foods is the brand and I even found it in a local Stop & Shop yesterday (in the organic section).  Today I made an old family favorite called Cheesy Potatoes.  They tasted just like I remember and nobody could tell that they were any different.  Although it's definately not low cholesterol, you may be able to reduce some of the fat by switching out to low fat products.  Here's the recipe:

Cheesy Potatoes

2 lbs frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 cup melted butter
2 cups shredded cheddar
2 cups sour cream
1 can cream of chicken soup

Combine all above ingredients and spread in 13 x 9 pan (I like to use a glass pan).

Mix:  1/4 cup melted butter with 1 cup crushed corn flakes (there are many brands that are gluten free) and sprinkle on top.  Bake 350 degrees for 45 - 55 minutes. 

They are always a hit and great for a crowd. 

I'm so excited about the condensed soup find, I can't wait to try some of the old favorites I've been craving for the past 3 years.

Enjoy!
Cathy

2 comments:

  1. Sounds Yummy -

    Although not condensed, Progresso now makes a GF Creamy Mushroom Soup and New England Clam Chowder

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks - I will give them a try!

    ReplyDelete