Saturday, February 26, 2011

Pumpkin Bread - quick, easy and delicious and gluten free!

I have always loved Pumpkin bread.  It was one of the last things I had to eat before needing to go gluten free.  For over 3 years I could not find a gluten free pumpkin bread and tried several times to make one from scratch but it just didn't seem to meet my expectations.  Last year I took a cooking lesson and requested pumpkin bread.  I thought it was great and made it several times.  Last week I made it and had my daughter and husband sample it.  Although they both thought it was fine, they both thought it was gritty tasting.  The recipe I used called for rice flour, which does seem to be gritty.  Today I decided to try the same recipe but switching out the rice flour for a gluten free flour mixture.  The one I used is a mix of corn starch, tapioca flour, garbanzo flour, fava flour and sorghum flour. (Who would have thought there could be so many different kinds of flour.)  The result:  Delicious and no grittiness or aftertaste, great texture, not dense and it rose beautifully.  See what you think!

Cathy

Pumpkin Nut Bread

1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup oil

Beat together for a few minutes.

Add:

1 cup pureed pumpkin (canned or fresh)
1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix well.

Add:

1 1/3  cup gluten free flour
1/4     teas. xanthan gum
3/4     teas. baking soda
1/4     teas. baking powder
1 1/2  teas. cinnamon
1/2     teas. pumpkin pie spice

Beat until well mixed.

Stir in 1/2 to 3/4 chopped walnuts or chocolate chips, if desired.

Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 55 - 60 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.

Cool before cutting.


No comments:

Post a Comment